One of Hobart’s most historic pubs, The Whaler at Salamanca, Hobart, was established in the early 1800’s.

In 1993, Art Co-op member and master glass artist, Klaus Brucksch, was commissioned to undertake the installation of 8 glass windows and three painted portraits. Klaus studied all episodes at the Hobart historic Library and designed the actions in each window as authentically as it would have been at the time. The Aboriginal window is a scene from ‘before settlement’ more than 200 years ago. Five more windows followed depicting scenes from the 18th to 19th century when whaling was the main trade in Hobart. The Antarctic scene is a tribute to Douglas Mawson and all the explorers. The last, a small window, takes the viewer to the modern 20th century. The portholes used in the collection are from a shipwreck yard and surely have been part of the then whaling fleet.


The name ‘The Whaler’ was coined in 1829 by Rev Robert Knopwood who was an intrinsic personality looking after many disadvantaged settlers and in particular the whalers who needed personal support after their often treacherous missions at sea. The pub became the place whalers returned to through the 1800s to be paid and drink with their mates.

During a recent visit to Hobart for the Australian Ceramics Triennale, Mollie Bosworth visited the pub at Salamanca and provided the images of Klaus’ fine glass artworks.

Examples of current glass artworks by Klaus Brucksch can be seen at the Kuranda Arts Co-op gallery.